Monday, January 7, 2008

Life Lesson. . .

Today was a very challenging day, and I need to vent a little. How do you teach your children to be grateful? I struggled with this today. We (myself, Brynn, & Addie) were at Sam's today and Brynn say this pink pony that she wanted very much. I kept telling her that we were not getting the horse that she had plenty at home. I thought I had finally convinced her to leave the pony because 1-Mimi was coming to get her 2-she might get it for her birthday, which is in September!

As we drove home ( less than 1/2 a mile) she repeated over and over "I want the pink pony from Sam's." We came in and I immediately took her to her room and showed her she already has 5 ponies and that she did not need another one. Well as you can image she was not happy. This really frustrates me because 1- it was just Christmas, she received more than enough 2- she should be happy with what she has. It is very difficult to get a 3 year old to grasp the concept of being grateful but i tried. I tried to explain to her that she should be happy, she has 5 horses, lots of kids have none and possible no toys. She should be happy with her toys. She still continued with the "I want the pink pony from Sam's."

So as my last resort i told her she could have the pink pony under one condition--she had to give away all her other toys. Which to my surprise she said would be fine. Now i had to prove my point. I told her ok when she got home from Mimi's she would have no more toys in our house just her new pink pony, so she need to go ahead and tell all her toys good-bye. I left her in her room. A few minutes later i heard her in there talking to her self. She was in the closet, so i snuck in to see what she was saying. It was kinda sad. She was crying and telling each toy bye...Bye kitchen...Bye wagon...Bye blocks...Bye animals...etc. I tried to video this so i could show Brandon, but she stopped before I could.

Mimi came and convinced her she might get one for her birthday. This of course worked this time because Mimi told her. They left and i began contemplating if i should really move all her toys out of the house. I talked to Brandon and he said no so i didn't.

When Brynn got home, she was still upset, not about the pony but because of how she had acted. She said she wanted to keep all her toys and not give them away, that she would wait to get the pony as a surprise for her birthday- I'm sure by September she will have forgotten.

This was a difficult day in my parenting life. I am not sure if this was the right thing to do but it was hard to see my child not appreciate all that she has. I know she is only 3 but 3 year olds understand alot more than people give them credit for. I just don't want her to grow up not being grateful and appreciating all the things that lots of others will never have. Today was a lesson not only for Brynn but me too. I hope we both pass this life lesson.

6 comments:

Summer Martin said...

Hey Summer, we too have struggled with this with our 3 kids. Don't worry it is normal. Once with Karson when she was about 4 1/2 years old we resorted to the same plan as you did, except that we did take everything away for 1 whole day. It seemed to work at least for a little while. She still remembers it until this very day, and now all I have to say is that you will loose all your toys. I have not tried it with they boys only because it was a lot of work on my part. Hope this gives you some encouragement.

Natalie Kellett said...

I don't have any kids but I would of done the same thing as you! That is so cute how she sat in her closet saying bye to her toys... I don't think we ever have the right answers of what to do. You do what works for you and your family. :)

Alison said...

I hate that you had a tough day! I think what you did was great! I also think Brynn learned a lesson that she can't every toy in the store. Don't be hard on yourself. YOU ARE A GREAT MOM! You are a great role model for me (when the time comes)! I admire your patience with your children.

Kelly said...

Aww! That is so awful and sweet at the same time! She was in her closet saying bye to her toys!!! That in itself sounds like a lesson learned. I agree with Ali, you're a great mom, and as soon as you figure this one out SHARE IT WITH ME!! I'm right behind you with my little one! :-)

Summer said...

Thanks guys for all the kind words and encouragment.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of parenthood. Not only is growing up a learning lesson for the children, parenthood is a learning lesson for the parents. Just take it one day at a time and everything will work itself out.